Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My Kid is Involved in Politics

A great article about, frankly, people like me, who have emailed and debated, cajoled and arm-twisted their parents trying to get their message across: vote for Obama.

Last June, I bought my father a t-shirt featuring an artistic rendition of Obama's face for his birthday. He chuckled at the time. By Super Tuesday, he and my mother, both registered Democrats (despite a consistent independent voting record) voted for Obama.

In March, at my grandfather's 83rd birthday party, I got into a heated debate with my Aunt and decried her candidate (Senator Clinton) for failing to speak up for gay rights when she ran for re-election in '06 while her fellow statesman, frm. Gov. Spitzer, came out in favor of gay marriage. I didn't change any minds that night, but I did silence my Aunt, and in the process (and I thank you in advance, Ms. Clinton, for allowing me to crib this line), found my own voice.

I don't know if I'll get my parents to hang on for the ride through November. My Mom was really bothered by the Rev. Wright fiasco, and is a strident enough independent that she will seriously consider all the candidates, including peripheral third-party ones. Nothing wrong with that. But I, for one, intend to keep hammering away.

As my Dad said on the phone today, "Do you think there's any chance your mother and I would have been Obama supporters without your input?"

No comments: